Thursday 21 May 2015

Jonathan: I Have Lost To Prevent Crisis

Jonathan: I Have Lost To Prevent Crisis

 

On Wednesday  President Goodluck Jonathan stated that he conceded defeat to Muhammadu Buhari at the presidential election because of his desire to keep the country away from conflict. 
A statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati, quoted the President as speaking while receiving members of the African Ambassadors’ Group, who were on a farewell and solidarity visit to his boss at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, Punch informs.
Jonathan said that he knew the enormity and cost of conflicts and would not want Nigeria to witness such.
He added that he would always be committed to strengthening democracy in Nigeria and Africa. Goodluck Jonathan noted that his decision to concede defeat was to show example to the world that democracy could survive and thrive in Africa without conflict.
The President announced: “I believe that character matters in leadership. And it is not just about who becomes the President of a country, but somebody has to be there and the person needs the support of all to succeed.I made a choice to keep the country away from conflict. I have always advised other African leaders that we will need to have a country before we can have the ambition to become President. We don’t have to expose our people to deaths because we want to stay in power. Some people hold on to power, may be, for fear of the unknown.”
Jonathan also said he led peace efforts in some of the countries like Cote ‘d’Ivoire, Mali and Guinea Bissau.
According to him: “I have been involved in solving many problems in African countries for more than five years and I know the enormity and cost of conflicts, especially on the citizenry. We cannot afford that in Nigeria. If we were to have a political conflict in Nigeria, I am not sure the sub-region will be able to accommodate our citizens. My commitment is to always put the country before my personal ambition and that is what I have demonstrated”.
Jonathan then called on the global community and Nigerians to support the incoming government of Buhari.

No comments:

Post a Comment